Thursday, November 30, 2006

quality day of engrish

i went to two elementary schools today, and for some reason, i kept seeing quality engrish, which i just have to share...

- at my first school, we were doing a Christmas lesson, which included flash cards, memory, and BINGO. it took a while for the kids to fill out a 3x3 BINGO card, especially since some were trying to be fancy and write out the words in English as opposed to hiragana. words to choose from included Santa Claus, bell, angel, wreath, socks (it was written on her card, and i felt bad about correcting the teacher...), tree, cake, star, and present. as i peered over one girl's shoulder, i nearly died laughing: she had written "wrath."

- at my second school, one of the teachers handed me today's lesson plan, which was apparently food themed. as i scanned the list of words that i would be teaching, something caught my eye that totally threw me off. look at this list, and you tell me what doesn't fit =P :

  • tomato potato lettuce cabbage carrot onion cucumber
  • bread bum rice
  • flour egg
I still have no idea what it was supposed to be.

- during lunch with the 4th and 5th graders at my second school, i was looking around the room at my students, when i noticed a large boy with an English sweatshirt on. written in Oakland A's script was the single word, Sturdy.

- on my way home, i walked by a bicycle with something written on the seat. when i looked closely, it read: Hip UP Saddle.

gotta love my island =D

2 comments:

MasterCKO said...

maybe bun?

Evelyn said...

that's not such a bad guess. i thought it might be jam, but what they wrote was nowhere close. you're probably right.