Saturday, November 18, 2006

birthday surprises

i had last night, which can only be described as one of the best birthdays EVER. the only other one that can compare was the time my drawmates and i all went to San Francisco, and at the end of the day, 3 more of my friends magically appeared and we all went to see The Lion King on stage. All sorts of great memories.

Yesterday was equally as shocking. So on Wednesday, i talked to Sujin, the Korean CIR from Pusan. She said she had something to show me on Friday, but that it'd be around 8pm. I figured we'd eat dinner together or something along those lines first.

After going to my junior high in the morning, from 2pm onwards i'm usually at my BOE on friday afternoons. i sat there and didn't do much of anything, but since i was in my bat cave by myself, it didn't really matter (the office is in the new shopping mall building, and since the outer room is small, my and Aaron's desk has been left in the backroom which i've deemed the Bat Cave). Around 3:40, Ueda-san (the young guy that works for Aaron's city at my BOE) comes into the batcave holding a tray with a cup of coffee and a plate with just a plastic yellow fork.

Thinking, why is HE serving ME coffee? He disappears out the door, and 2 seconds later reappears with a box that obviously contains pastries. After thanking him like crazy, i asked if anyone else in the front room wanted any cake, and he said, "There's a lot of people there that can't eat sweets, so go ahead."

After he left again, i was in that room by myself. I looked around, saw a bunch of boxes and stacks of paper laying around, and thought, "Somehow, i can't bring myself to eat this by myself. I think that would be the saddess caking-eating i've ever done." So i didn't. i decided to wait until after dinner to eat it with Sujin and hopefully Jayne (David's new and more appropriate name after a character from Firefly) and Aaron.

Determined to call home, i spent about an hour after coming home trying to setup Skype, and i would highly recommend it! Talked to my parents for about 15 minutes and it cost less than 40 cents! Excellent, excellent.

Afterwards, i gave Sujin a call, and finally decided on eating okonomiyaki at my place before going to the thing at 8. I had promised her when i went to her place for dinner, that the next time we ate it would be okonomiyaki since i'm a big fan. So, i went out, bought some materials for the okonomiyaki, made a salad, and called her over. They turned out huge and took a while to heat up, but we both thought they came out well =)

Then, it was off to whatever she was going to show me. Now keep in mind, Sujin is the type of person who is genuinely SUPER nice, very accomodating, very responsible, and honest. Which is why when we ended up in front of Roxy's (a burger joint in town), she said, "I have to talk to the old guy here really fast," i believed her. I followed her in since i know the waitress there, and as i step inside, i look off to the right where our gaijin troop usually sits, and see a blond head of hair.

"That's odd..."

As i walk in further, i realize, "Wait! i know that blonde head! Whoa, David North is here too--- wait..."

And then i realize that EVERYONE is there. Even the way northerners came down!! Everyone but Oliver was there (to be expected). I was soo touched.... speechless in fact. Aaron had apparently contacted everyone and told them not to say Happy Birthday to me all day unless they had to, that way i'd think they'd all forgotten (which i did...), and had organized the surprise party. Surprised indeed.

The wonderful and excessive people they all are, they got me presents!! Honestly, i take birthdays as a time to spend with people that mean a lot to me, and it's more about being surrounded by good friends and good company than about cake and presents. Maybe i think that way because my parents never got me anything; they feed, clothe, and shelter me. They always believed that was enough, and i totally agree.

But yes, my islanders = AMAZING. Panda slippers that look super warm from Sujin, candy and a compiled CD from Master Lees (a mixed tape, dare i say =P [sorry, Avenue Q reference...]), my favorite Japanese omiyage of all time called Hakata Torimon (below)

and a head-bobbing toy (see below)
that i've wanted for a while because it's soo adorable and sooo soothing from Rob (i've named it Bob.... ingenious, no?!), and last but not least, the most impressive thing of all from Aaron: a Hanshin Tigers Akahoshi 53 jersey!!!


So i can't find a picture of it at the moment, but it's basically the above jersey with a 53 on the front, and AKAHOSHI 53 on the back. Seriously, this is going to be a family heirloom. You laugh, but i'm serious. Literally, back in April or whenever it was, i told several people, when i go to Japan, i'm going to get this jersey, i'm going to wear it all the games i go to, and this WILL be a family heirloom. Yes i'm crazy. Yes i love this team to pieces. Yes, i love Akahoshi. No, i dont know why.

While we were still at Roxy's, all of a sudden the lights dimmed down, and the owner came out with a huge ice cream sunday with a paper Happy Birthday tiara, candle, and sparklers coming out of it. Quite awesome (and delicious!).

After Roxy's, we swung by the Coco's (the ONLY convenience store on the island), and then it was off to karaoke. Lots of fun songs were sung; quite a few japanese songs too. i completely butchered "Eternally" by Utada, but it was the only song slow enough for me to read. And speaking of trip down memory lane, i sang Waterfalls by TLC, and not even the radio version, but the real one with Left-Eye's rap in the middle. Somehow, it's become my thing that i HAVE to rap a song before a night of karaoking is done. Though honestly, i'm running out of songs that i know.... I'll gladly take suggestions though =)

By the time karaoke was over, it was 1:15ish, and deciding to be random, the Davids, Rob, Aaron and i went to get Aaron's car then went for a joy ride. We went up to Kamizaka, which is a lookout point over the ria in Mitsushima. Since Aaron has a kei car (small), and since there were 5 of us, needless to say, it was quite a cozy ride. But i must say, it was one of the most hilarious and enjoyable joy rides i've had in a long, long time. Being 1:30 in the morning, it was pretty dark out, and seeing how Tsushima only has windy, narrow, mountainous roads, deer and ten coming out at night to play only make driving all the more scary. Many, many good memories made.

As was my whole evening. From okonomiyaki to a surprise party to karaoke to joy-riding, all very, very memorable and fun. Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes, and especially to my islanders for the trek down south and the amazing love and joy you've brought to this poor soul on a cold November day. Thank you!!!

--Evelyn

Hmm...I still have yet to eat my cake...

No comments: