Wednesday, March 07, 2007

new pictures site

my everlasting quest to find the perfect [free] photo storage website continues. my lastest attempt: Picasa. i'm testing out this program at the moment, so i've posted some pictures. i'm plannning on posting random favorite pictures here, so check back every now and then if you need someone to laugh at.

See pictures here.

does anyone out there have a suggestion for a photo storage site that fulfills all the following criteria:
- FREE
- can go to a homepage/main page that shows all my albums
- can display pictures at a decently large size
- significant amounts of storage capacity (obviously unlimited is ideal...)
- slideshow capability
- viewers can download fairly high resolution pictures
- fast upload

till now, i've tried/looked into the following photo sites, but found pitfalls with all of them...


Yahoo

I like how you can see someone's albums from the main page, but the pictures are too small when you view them individually.


Sony's Imagestation

The slideshow function is very nice, and i like how you can change the album's background color. Unlimited space is also a plus. however, you have to pay in order to view the original image at full resolution, which is kinda unfortunate. Till now, this is my most frequently used photo site. however, i'd really like the ability to allow everyone to see all my albums without giving out my password.


Flickr

I've never actually used this myself, and it looks a lot like what i'm looking for. high resolution picture downloads for viewers... just about the best site i've seen in this category. however, Jayne tells me you have to pay to have unlimited storage. the thing that makes me nervous about paying is that when i decide to stop paying, do all my pictures disappear?...


Photobucket

All the ALTs in Tsushima are using a photobucket account at present, and they even let you store videos. while it has a lot of storage space (1GB i believe), i feel like the design is a bit too simple... I'd also like to see an album cover picture for all the albums, but instead, they only have radio buttons (so no thumbnail album cover).


Facebook

Facebook got it right with having a ton of sponsors and allowing users to make a ton of albums, being able to display fairly large pictures (though bigger is better in this case), and unlimited storage space. however, i doubt my parents feel like setting up a facebook page.... the goal of this whole photo site search is so that anyone can view and download my pictures.


Picasa

Picasa would seem to be the answer to my prayers. quick upload, ability to upload from the program on my computer directly, captions that stay forever with my pictures... they even have the whole main page with thumbnails to my albums function. however, it's slightly depressing that i only have 250 mB of storage on there. we'll see how picasa turns out.


yeah.... i know i'm super picky, but this search has gone on for years now. it gets tiring to keep downloading uploading tools only to abandon these photo sites in the end. and i HATE the whole starting over again and again thing. each time i use a new site, i end up uploading the same old fav pictures all over again, but that still takes time to do you know. *sigh*. i'm very open to suggestions if anyone has any.

2 comments:

Lee's Discount Store said...

re: flickr - after your paid account runs out, I believe it just shows your most recent 200 pictures (which is what the nonpaid accounts do). Your pictures haven't disappeared, and if you know the links to the individual pages, or if you've linked to the image somewhere else, you can still see them. But they're not visible on your main page, which is rather annoying.

-Chris

Darwin said...

Yeah, I hear you ev. You know how much I love photos, and I face a similar struggle. Right now, I still like PicasaWeb the best. I love using the Picasa program to organize my photos, and it makes it _so_ easy to upload them to a web album. Yeah the space limit bites, tho they just changed it so you have 1GB now!!! Yay! Also, one way around it is creating a bunch of different Google Accounts, maybe one for every category (College, Japan, Home, etc). Kind of not ideal tho. If you pay for Picasa then you get like 6GB for $25 a year which isn't bad. I bought an account for our VIA group and we've only posted like 4GB between 80 people or so.

Right now I'm using free Picasa, but will likely upgrade if I run out of space. Another thought is to set up my own server maybe darwinsphotos.com or something and just host everything myself using a program like Gallery (example at: http://www.eggdropper.com/gallery2/main.php)

If I do end up hosting my own server, I'll let you know, and I can probably give you a couple gigs for free :)

Anyway - I have a picasa site and just posted to my new blog :). Hope all is well!

http://dcruzin.blogspot.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/dcruzin